SWEET WATER- MIAMi

 Saint Augustine said "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page"
True words? Absolutely! none truer.
The Dalai Lama puts it a little differently, "Once a year, go someplace you have never been before"

A Ghana proverb proclaims "It is a child who has never traveled, who says that only his mother prepares tasty meals"
Alexander Sattler gives it a perfect finish for me when he said "I would rather own little and see the world than own the world and see little of it.
All of these affirm that beyond our current location, lies so much more.

It does not have to be overseas, it could be the next village, town, borough, county, or city.
The experiences gained take root within and give you a new eye on life.
As our world taxis along, becoming a global village by the nanosecond. People and cultures collide daily stretching our frontiers, and new horizons come into sight.
It has become absolutely necessary, for us to open up. And engage the world with renewed curiosity.

For me, there is nothing more exciting than discovering a new place, culture, and people.

My journeys on the pages of books are no longer satiating,  I crave more. I want to see more of the world. As my bucket list grows longer by the year.
The beauty of a new place is like a clarion call to my soul. It stirs up latent emotions and weaves a fresh thread on the loom of my life.
Whether it is trying out new foods, shoving my boring 70% vegan diet to the back burner. I am in my element, willing to learn a word or two in a new language,  make new friends and watch the stars glow under a new sky.
The experience is exhilarating, Oh! so rewarding.

But as a woman, I find that there are many places in the world, I cannot just pack my bags and go to explore. A knowledge that often makes me sad.

Many places in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and parts of South America.
And that is many places, in the world, if you ask me. So although with one foot firmly planted in the 21st century our world is yet to look at the medieval era in the rearview mirror.
We are yet to fully attain civilization. For until a woman can pick her bag, and go to any corner of the world, without fearing for how she might be perceived or her safety based on gender. 
Or whether she will be told, how to dress or where she can or cannot stay. We are still romancing with the dark ages. 

So I travel to the relatively safe zones, Europe and North America. Places where a woman can travel alone, unhindered. Stay at a hotel without needing a male companion as a chaperon or protector.

Walk into a bar, have a drink if she chooses, or just watch people come and go, without needing permission. Or being viewed in a negative light.

Last month, I went someplace, I had never been before. The beautiful Sunshine State of Florida.

I explored the South Florida cities of Miami, Ft Lauderdale. Enjoyed her subtropical climate, Beaches, cosmopolitan ambiance, and beautiful shopping malls.
The word Miami is widely believed to be derived from a Native American word that means "Sweet water" And oh how sweet her waters taste!
The earliest mention of the name comes from Hernando de Escalante Fontaneda  
a captive of Indians in southern Florida for 17 years, when he referred to what is now Lake Okeechobee as the "Lake of  Mayaimi , which is called Mayaimi because it is very large.
On Board the boat "Island Queen"
A Pina Colada smoothie i was served at a South Beach eatery, notice the humongous size

My verdict is, the people of Miami are warm, kind, and culturally alive even my grandmother will approve.
Much friendlier than New Yorkers who are constantly angry with themselves and the world.

I ate Congri (red beans and rice), fried sweet plantains, and tilapia at a Cuban restaurant. And had dinner at a Mexican one. 

Listened to Salsa, drank Mojitos, and kissed Bacchus.
Strolled in and out of the shops at Bayside like a 5-year-old at a candy store. Eyes wide in excitement and hands full of shopping bags.
I let a saleswoman at a Perfumania store, talk me into buying more bottles of perfume than I needed.
Took a tour along the Miami marina on a boat- the Island Queen, and what a graceful queen she was.

The tour guide showed me houses on Fisher and Star islands where the rich and famous, own waterfront mansions.
Making the party come alive, with her jokes on the jumping black bunny statue in front of Elizabeth Taylor's house. A gift from her friend Michael Jackson for jumping from one marriage to another.

You can't blame the dame though, there is a lot of love out there, so she had to find it, even if it took 7 marriages.
And the Vanilla Ice joke, was a classic! as we espied the lackluster home of Rapper, Robert Matthew van Winkle aka Vanilla Ice, who went from singing "Ice! ice! baby" (his popular song)  to broke! broke! baby.  (we all know his current financial straits )
Elizabeth Taylor's House on Miami waterfront
me at the home of my favorite basketball team- Miami Heat

I dribbled my way to the American Airlines Arena, home of Miami Heat, my favorite basketball team, and became a proud owner of a Lebron James # 6 shirt.
Walked the streets of South beach, and felt like, I was part of a scene on the television shows CSI Miami and Burn Notice.
Trotted down Lincoln road mall and spent more than I was willing. Only briefly appeasing my thrifty side, by noting "this happens once a year. 
 
I let the beautiful white sands on Miami beach do a little meringue between my toes, as I raised my hands to the heavens and marveled at such beauty.
Coming from the Caribbean, Islands of beautiful beaches, the Miami beach still had me at hello.
Many years ago, a friend confided in how he shed tears on his first visit to Miami beach. Now, I could relate
I rounded off the shopping at the Sawgrass Mills Mall, and your girl died and went to heaven.
yours truly, excited to be at the beach although not appropriately attired
Me posing at Sawgrass mills mall


Although it rained most of the week, with forecasts of thunderstorms, I peeked into the heart of Miami.
And I loved what I saw, her heart was filled with love from the many cultures of the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. 
Her soul constantly dances to tunes of the meringue, Tango, Salsa, Bachata, and Nuevo Flamenco with a hint of Afro-beat in the background.

My visit was time and money well spent.
So I say to you, like Will Smith in his 1998 single "Miami"  "Bienvenido a Miami" "Welcome to Miami" Party in the city where the Heat is on!

Comments

Popular Posts