The Road of Woman

Ngozichi, Port of Spain, Trinidad, 2015


 

Twilight is nigh, night closes in
And darkness prepares its descent.
 The people scurry for safety,
seeking shelter wherever they can.
 A rest from the day's troubles
and the drudgery of this life.


My heart, tethers on a precipice
As I navigate the intersection of the crossroad
It's a journey that fills me with dread
A path I fear.
Yesterday was the same
Pregnant and poignant


The truth  unravels today
And I must choose a road
A path, 
a trail that would become
My History
Tarry, Ireti counsels
Sleep on it Angela urges
Neither, wither Laraba pleads


Wait many seconds, my heart hums
It is a road of a two-headed beast
A sweet and sour menu
I dread it
because its secrets
 I do not understand
Its lies are legendry


Nnenne did not comprehend
 but did tread all the same
You must choose the elders beckon
For not to, is death to your womanhood
But my womb says differently
The fires in my belly dare another
It is a crossroad
You must tarry Ireti repeats

Comments

Popular Posts