SEDUCED BY THE BIG APPLE


I have been to this city many times since I first kissed her in the Spring of 2003
But it holds magic for me. Showing me a new side on each visit.  As I watch it in awe strut its stuff like a peacock while I act like a three-year-old in a candy store without a chaperon
On each visit, I stay in a different area code. It gives one the fluidity to see the city through different eyes.
This time, I opted to stay on the lower East side; specifically the East Village. it gives one easy access to explore the SoHo neighborhood.

So fresh on Tuesday morning, I join the Warriors of Life, donning the unofficial uniform of a Blackcoat and scarf wrapped in many layers around my neck.
Hands in the pockets of my coat to keep out the chill from numbing my tropical hands. The air is encased with the embers of winter, Spring is nigh but the groundhog may be wrong.

I trail the march on the streets, every warrior has purpose stamped on their feet as they slam the pavements of the city.
My steps are gentler on the pavements, as I have no deadlines to meet and my eyes are off the clock.
I am on vacation after all, so I ginger my walk, ebullient strides infused with a twist of Calypso and Afro juju..

A cute fella stops me to pay his compliments introducing himself and his heritage..." I am Cuban- Jamaican" he says proudly, I smiled at him, he probably caught on the Calypso twist in my stride. I am tempted to wave him on and walk away but it is a beautiful morning. Let a brother catch a break, the imp on my left shoulder whispered.
So I allow him to display off his plumage....he spins his rap, and I smile and listen attentively
"Where are you from? He asked
"Trinidad" I responded
I am often caught between many worlds
A friend introduced me to a guy yesterday as being from Trinidad.
Noticing his dreadlocks and cap and physical features like Bob Marley, I asked him if he was from Jamaica.
"No" he responded "Ethiopia"
I readjusted my heritage, I am originally from Nigeria though, I corrected belatedly and we conversed like Africans.
If he had been Jamaican, I would have flown the Trinidad kite and we would have conversed as West Indians until I was ready to let the kite down.
So the cute Cuban- Jamaican hands me his number which he says he had written down when he first noticed me three streets away.
Talk about a man with a purpose. I give him my Hollywood smile for good measure and he pleads with me not to throw it away.
I nod and wave him goodbye..
Time for some fuel, so I stop by a Cafe "Dean & Deluca" on Prince Street by Broadway. And ordered a "Beautiful Morning" yes you guessed right, it's a sandwich and a small cup of hot chocolate to wash down my beautiful morning.
If you choose to eat at the cafe, there is a long table by the window where you can wolf down your meal standing up.
I love New York! A city that breaks traditions. 
So I join other rule breakers by the window to eat my sandwich and thought of what my mother would say on seeing me vertical while eating or mama ukwu, my grandmother who always used to say "Nwanyi ane gwuzoto eri Ihe" (A woman should not eat standing up)
You should see me now Mum, grandma, I am caught between many worlds and breaking traditions and rules of our ancestry and loving it!
I am enjoying pushing the envelope and taunting the guardians of our tradition 
Is anyone going to sue me?
Nah!
The only Constant in Life is CHANGE


.
Eager to see myself on the big screen at Times Square I made into the heart image

The Vision Expo at Jacob Javits center



Hard Rock Cafe Times Square




Comments

Popular Posts