DISCOVER AFRICA- VIRUNGA



Mountain gorilla Ndakasi before her passing. André Bauma. photo credit Marcus Westberg







I covet Anthony Bourdain's job!
While I do not care much for eating everything put before me e.g bull penis, maggot fried rice, seal eye, or fetal duck eggs like Mr. Bourdain chows down. I would want an opportunity to showcase the natural beauty of Africa to the world by traveling across the length and breadth of the virgin continent and maybe consult as a pro-Bono Optometrist. Or even teach Optometry as there is a need for Optometry school teachers in many parts of the continent.

Having practiced Optometry for more than two decades, I am getting bored with sitting behind the desk or in front of the Phoropter if you will, peering into people's eyes all day.
I have a natural wanderlust and new places around the world are constantly beckoning to me.
And if I  did not have responsibilities like a child in college and tuition to pay. I would take a year off work and just travel and feel free like a bird.

At this moment Nelly Furtado's song "I am like a bird" plays in my head. And I think being a single parent is the best thing that happened to me. Because I probably would have walked out of any marriage that happened in my twenties and thirties!
Talk about counting one's blessings. My poor mum must be rolling in her grave now. I am her Ada after all, her firstborn daughter who was supposed to marry in my early twenties soon after college and bear four or six children to an Igbo man!
Okay, that's a stereotype but that is what is expected of me as a girl, an Ada (First daughter). 

In my culture that is the duty, you owe your parents as a girl to marry and multiply! Nobody is really interested in what path you prefer, you have to toe the line of tradition.

 I still have a brother who when we have a fight drums it in my ears "You Should Get Married" He thinks since our parents are gone. You know to heaven for those who believe in fairy tales. It is his DUTY to constantly remind me. And I yank at his chain by reminding him that I am also an Atheist. Oh, that gets him going while I convulse in laughter.

Yes, I am a Free spirit, Feminist! The Atheist part is just for fun, I may describe myself as an agnostic but who cares? My religion is Humanity. There are already too many labels in this world. I hate boxes. I love to think outside them.

Okay, I digress.
Like I was saying, I have promised myself to visit a new place every birthday. Next year I am thinking of Hawaii, Cuba, or Thailand then I wondered " what about Madagascar? In elementary school, I had a crush on the name of its capital" Antananarivo" just saying the name still brings smiles to my face and perhaps a half orgasm!
In Geography class we had to learn about the countries in Africa and their capitals and commit it to memory. I still hear the voices of my Primary four (4th Grade) classmates chanting the names in my head!

Last month I saw a trailer for the movie "Virunga" a story about a national park in a part of Africa that mainstream media only reports negatively. I had never seen such natural beauty!
I tell my friends that the natural beauty that abounds in Africa is not replicated anywhere else.
Africa just needs to get its Politics right.
In fact, I will go out on a limb and say if you believe in heaven, it is right here on earth; in Africa.

The older and wiser I grow, the more I have come to a realization that money is best spent on experiences rather than possessions.
The experiences we get from travel cannot be taught by anyone but by our standing in the moment at the location

Comments

Popular Posts