My "Sorry" is not always an Apology





My Sorry is not always an apology 

As an African your life is diverse. More diverse and connected with human nature in a way many cannot fathom. 
Many people in the Western Hemisphere, have no idea about your experiences.

My life is multidimensional, the hundreds of languages and cultures around me influence my thought processes my worldview, and who I am.

When I look at a person, I see many parts to them. And having lived away from the African continent for many years has added to my multifaceted experience.

The word "sorry" in my native language Igbo is "Ndo" and is not always an apology. It is sometimes a word of encouragement, a word of empathy so also in other Nigerian languages like Yoruba, Edo, Efik, Esan, Tiv, Ibibio, Igala, Hausa, kalabari, Anang, Itshekiri,  Urhobo, Kwale, Akoko Edo to name a few

I often find myself explaining this to people in the Caribbean. When I say sorry to them when they are hurt. They are always quick to remind me that it's not my fault they hurt. So stop apologizing.

But I am not apologizing. 
I am empathizing

Growing up in Nigeria, if you were walking on the road and a stranger on the opposite side of the road tripped and fell or just stumbled over a stone. Instinctively you said "Sorry" not because you are the cause of their misfortune but because you empathize with them.

It's the culture. It's what you are taught growing up. 
"Sorry" is a word of empathy, encouragement. you would be seen to be cold-hearted if you did not constantly say "Sorry"

So dear Caribbean and American friends, my sorry is not always an apology 

My sorry is sharing my humaneness with you. With the world. 
It is greasing that human thread between us. For we are all connected even though you may not see it.

Comments

Popular Posts