The Island Of Dominica and Me



Dominica






In the early hours of Tuesday, September 19, a powerful category 5 storm lashed through the island of Dominica.
I have been following the path of this monstrous storm; hurricane Maria because another monstrous storm ravaged many of the leeward islands of the Caribbean a mere two weeks before; hurricane Irma.
And many islanders were still recovering emotionally and financially from the ill winds that bring no one any good.

I live in the Bahamas so I am constantly worried when a tropical depression forms somewhere off the coast of West Africa because it may develop into a hurricane that may blow westwards.
I was in Nassau, the Bahamas when a powerful category 4 storm "Hurricane Matthew" caused a lot of damage in October 2016. The experience was harrowing, sometimes I still hear the howling winds.
But even that experience is not as bonding as I feel now with the devastation Hurricane Maria caused on the island of Dominica.

Tragedy has a way of pulling out memories from the recesses of our minds.
My relationship with the island of Dominica was many years ago before I even set foot in the Caribbean.
I have lived in the Caribbean for almost 16 years now and had almost completely forgotten about Dominica.
But as I follow the news of this tragedy, I remember it all. 

Many years ago, as a young optometrist fresh out of college in Africa's most populous country and city, life was very competitive. Being the oldest of seven children meant you had a lot of responsibilities. Everyone looked up to you; Your parents and siblings, the clan. Too many expectations. That you constantly feel you have a target on your back. You must not fail, there are dependants and people hoping to become dependants.

In Nigeria, there are no student loans or loans for education and everyone wants to go to University (College) because that was the only way to at least beat the competition and have a better chance in life.
If you were fortunate to be admitted to one of the few  Federal universities at the time, where tuition was free all you had to do was pay for living expenses and books. You counted your lucky stars.
They were the best schools at that time and very competitive.

So large families like mine who were only middle class were able to have most of the kids go to college once they can beat the competition. Today, the story is totally different.

But I digress.

The year was 1992, I was 5 years out of university, then armed with a BSc. in Optometry which used to be the required degree to practice at the time. Today you will need a Doctor of Optometry to be able to practice in Nigeria.

So with six siblings and parents who were swarmed with bills. I had to help out with the family bills and expenses. With no loans, No Nigerian bank gives young people loans. I started a practice.
A big feat. Yes, when I look back now, I wonder at my courage then. I was fierce, passionate, and young with big dreams.
Sometimes, I want that old me back. But I think she is still lurking inside there somewhere.

One day, I walked into this fairly big hospital Brendaline Hospital somewhere in Surulere, Lagos, and asked to see the Managing director. I had a proposal to pitch. I had no appointment, so I had to wait, and finally, he would see me.

My proposal, rent me a room in your hospital so I would consult as an optometrist. I would pay you to rent the room and a percentage of all the patients that may need optometry care you send to me.
He looked at me and was impressed by my courage.
Long story short, we reached an agreement.

One month later, I moved my optometry gadgets into the room he rented me, got a stock of frames on credit, and started working for myself.

But I did not only depend on his hospital patients, I went all around talking to other Medical doctors in the neighborhood and beyond to refer their patients that may need optometry care. And that is how I met this Medical doctor and his Dominican wife. Both MDs

He was Nigerian but attended Medical school in Dominica and married his classmate in medical school. And they moved to Nigeria. They were my most loyal source of referrals during a very tough time. I got more referrals from them both than I did from anyone else.

So today, I remember them both and Dominica means more to me.

My heart goes out to Dominica and all Dominicans, you are in my prayers




Comments

Popular Posts