The Colonizer's Tongue

Ngozichi, Izamal, Yucatan, Mexico 2022




I speak the colonizer's language just as good as my native tongue 
and have made a version of it for my own luxury
to use as I please and even confuse him.


I love the colonizer's language, every word spoken on a trip to foreign lands
 on my own terms 
I love the way it rolls off my tongue
its allure, a taste of the forbidden


I love the colonizer's language every word a piece of him
a piece he will never get back
a piece now mine, part of my journey and a reminder of his invasion of my land


I love the colonizer's language, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
a taste of the forbidden that did not conquer my mind
I think in my native tongue, but straddle the colonizer's tongue


                                                                                                                                



Comments

Popular Posts