The Universal Language of a Smile

 
Miami International Airport





Viva Cuba! I greeted the beautiful cashier,
 My cheeks expanded in a grin no one can see behind the face mask.
 I place an order for two chicken empanadas.
 She returns the smile, albeit obscured by her mask. 

It is the new world we find ourselves in.
half of our faces were shielded from the public
 like modest brides at a traditional wedding ceremony 
Our eyes convey the message 
A message of our human commonality

This cafe is not much of Cuba
It's called Versailles, after a place in France.
But, the empanadas speak Cuban.
The best I have eaten, I think.

At a table next to me
Is seated by a lovely senior couple, probably septuagenarians
I cannot help but eavesdrop on their conversation
The wife asks the husband who obviously just returned from the restroom "How far away is it?
And debates whether to go with her cane, but decides against it.

I flash her a knowing smile and she smiles back.
We partake in the most beautiful language in the world with a smile.
A human language that soothes the soul of the initiator and the reciprocant (Is that even a  word?)
I don't know and don't care.

It's a slow day at a usually busy airport
there is an easy calm in the air
And my thoughts are easy.
Delighting in a moment in time
And what awaits the New year
There is no hurry though
The past two years have taught me so much




























Comments

Popular Posts