Home Is where Your Heart Is

I have seen the underbelly 
of life in the lands west of the Atlantic 
and it is a mirage
smokes and mirrors
of a sly storyteller
So, I stand here
in my sun-bleached Ankara
waiting to return to ancestral homelands
where the warmth of
kith and kin await
Perhaps to rekindle
the joys of living 
or singe my soul
in fiery cremation

Boarding pass and passport
in hand,
I take elated steps
into the great bird
to fly across oceans
and deserts
to the land of my ancestors
land of my mothers
and their mothers before
land where red soil
grows precious stones
the wealth of a people
whose minds are entangled
in a confusing history

But where is home?
years of life in strange lands
assimilating cultures once strange
 but now seep out of my pores 
and my taste buds hanker
for foods once alien
No land is strange
If the heart is at peace
and full
Home is where the heart is


Ngozichi, Maracas Bay lookout, Trinidad, 2002











Comments

Popular Posts