Serena Williams, 5th Wimbledon Title

Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come.
Serena Williams

 
Congratulations Serena on winning 2012 Wimbledon women's finals. Your 5th Wimbledon, after all you have been through in recent years, it was great to watch you play the game that you love to the best of your ability. Her  low point came in early 2011, when she spent hours laying around her home, overwhelmed by a depressing series of health scares that sent her to the hospital repeatedly and kept her away from tennis for 10 months.
Today at Centre Court Wimbledon, your  6-1, 5-7, 6-2 success gave the you,  fifth Wimbledon title, your 14th grand slam singles crown and, at the age of 30,  the oldest winner since Martina Navratilova won the last of her nine titles in 1990.

 With this title, you have  drawn  level with Venus Williams on five titles.
Although nerves almost got the better of her halfway through, she was an impressive and worthy champion. The world No3, Radwanska, the first Pole to reach a grand slam final since 1939, fought back valiantly from a set and 4-2 down to force a decider but Williams regained her composure just in time to take the title once more.

"Each title is definitely special," she said. "This one is super special. It's Wimbledon. I've wanted to win here so bad.
"Oh my gosh, I still cannot believe that I was able to come through and win my seven matches here. Each one's different. This one obviously is special to me because it's a huge comeback for me. I couldn't ask for anything else. I really couldn't."

 It was not that Radwanska was playing badly; rather that she was unable to counter the sheer might of Williams, who attacked her second serve with familiar ruthlessness. Three of the first four games went to deuce but rather than being 2-2, Williams was 4-0 up and quickly extended her lead. Radwanska had come into her first grand slam final struggling with breathing problems but with the finishing line in sight, suddenly the American was badly hit by nerves.

 "There's no reason in particular [it happened]," Williams said. "I have to give credit where credit's due. She started playing really, really well. She started playing excellent grass court tennis, getting a lot of balls back and I panicked a little bit and I shouldn't have. I usually don't."




http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/07/serena-williams-agnieszka-radwanska-wimbledon?newsfeed=true

Comments

Popular Posts