Dear White People.-Justin Simien


I realize that I'm black, but I like to be viewed as a person, and this is everybody's wish.- Michael Jordan









The issue of race and how it affects Black people can sometimes be frustrating. Everyone else seems to have  it easier, that the Black person
Justin Simien writes a satire on what it is to be Black in a predominantly white environment.

Based on Justin's own experiences at a predominately white university, the plot centers on "four black students at an Ivy League college where a riot breaks out over a popular 'African American' themed party thrown by white students. With tongue planted firmly in cheek, the film will explore racial identity in 'post-racial' America while weaving a universal story of forging one's unique path in the world."

Regarding the film's potential to spark debate, Justin had this to say:
"Nobody wants to be called a racist, so I think when people hear the title 'Dear White People,' already they want to take a defensive posture. But my movie isn't necessarily about racism. I think that racism is a fact of life and any movie dealing with black issues has to take place in a world where that's reflected. But my movie is really about race identity - it's about who you are, how the world sees you, and how that affects your potential."


The stereotypes, and constant scrutiny. can be wearisome. As an eye doctor,  I have had patients sit in my examination chair, and still ask me "Are you the doctor"
This is after I had made earlier introductions. Some folks cannot just wrap it around their heads. I have even had someone call me "Nurse" in his mind, being a doctor was probably too good for a Black person

The fact is being a minority in any environment or community is hard, you have a lot to contend with.
Being different from every other race creates a uniqueness, and minority status in most communities except the Black community.

The history of the Trans- Atlantic slave trade and most Slavery involving Black people, puts every Black Person in the West at a disadvantage. You have to constantly prove to everybody that you are good at what you do, and even when you are better qualified than your Caucasian or Asian counterparts, many undiscerning people will choose their services over yours.
 
As a Black professional, I have experienced this too many times.
People who do not have a clue who you are or the extent of your knowledge judge you based on your skin color, until perhaps they hear you speak or talk about issues, and they are awed that you are that intelligent.
Well this is one movie, I am looking forward to watching







Justin Simien, the man behind the Internet video sensation, "Dear White People" explains his motivations for the movie

Comments

Popular Posts