Are You, Your Brothers Keeper? Nigeria's Anti-Gay Law is Anti- Christ




It's a sultry Friday night in mid-January made bearable by the air conditioner exhaling cool air. Across the room, a party of five argued, bantered, and laughed loudly. They drank cocktails as if it was going out of fashion. 

I sat alone in a corner musing about my day. nursing a virgin Cuba libre, my thoughts are crowded and this virgin will not cut it. for the week I have had. So, I ordered an orgasm and watched the young waiter leave to replace my drink. I stared at his firm derriere barely wobbling, but with a life of its own. From the rear, his straight broad shoulders should grace high-end fashion magazines in Paris and Milan. And several images flashed through my mind. I chuckled to no one in particular.

In two days, I've been called a lesbian one time too many. It does not bother me. Because I swing on a rod, and right now my cervix was doing a private dance to the sight of the young bullock's firm behind. My concern is being attacked online because I share a different opinion from the majority of Nigerians and how intolerant my countrymen have become.

The burning issue is the Nigerian government has just signed into law a bill called "The same-sex prohibition Act" Which is really much more, and my countrymen refuse to read between the fine lines. The law makes it a crime to be gay/queer and stipulates 14 years in prison. Any member of the LBGTQ community is at risk of being named a criminal and jailed.

In a country where clandestine ways are often used to deal with perceived criminals that will make the Ku Klux Klan of the Jim Crow era look like saints, sometimes the silent approval of the Police authority makes my heart break into small pieces. I listened to Vladimir Duthiers on CNN report on the draconian law and my stomach sank further into the pit of my stomach.

The law makes it "Illegal for anybody to associate, to aid, to abet, to comingle with anybody who is perceived to be homosexual, to be part of a gay group, to be part of a gay society" The law also stipulates 5 years imprisonment for involvement in public advocacy or associations supporting the rights of lesbians and gay people.

Included is five years imprisonment for anyone "who performs, witnesses, aids, and abets" a same-sex marriage. It prohibits any display of same-sex amorous relationship" and adoption of children by lesbians. Also included is the ban on relationships with gay people. The intent is to ban anything remotely associated with being gay.

So, the law is not just about same-sex marriage which the LGBTQ community in Nigeria has never lobbied as they did in the United States. The law is to wish them out of existence. It is a law that makes anyone perceived as gay to be targeted and persecuted by a very homophobic society.

The Nigerian society is conservative and deeply religious. On the other hand, it is also a very hypocritical society. This is the same country where lawmakers passed a bill to marry underage children of 12. And where married Christian men keep multiple mistresses. And society turns a blind eye. 

I ask my Christian friends, "what will Jesus do in a situation like this? Since most of the supporters of this law are Christians. They are quick to quote wonderful scriptures from their bible. why homosexuality is a sin.

Here is my take on this matter, If Jesus was here today, he would give the LGBTQ community his love and undivided attention. And will kick against any law that would make them easy targets of persecution around the world.
Jesus abhorred all forms of persecution.
  •  He ate with lepers when unclean and was discriminated against. 
  • He associated with prostitutes when people judged and condemned them.
  • He worked on the Sabbath when it was considered unlawful
Jesus was not about judging and discriminating against people. He was all about love. And therefore any true Christian would embrace the LGBTQ community and show them, love. You may not understand why they are the way they are, but the least you can do is not make life miserable for these wonderful humans.

The Nigerian law is hateful and targets a minority of its population to be ridiculed, bullied, and persecuted. We should do better.



Comments

Popular Posts