Domestic Violence, Smile Again Foundation and Second Chances



Domestic violence is a hydra-headed monster that knows no race, religion, or social status.
It happens in every part of the world and victims in some countries get redressed in courts, others are not so lucky.
 As some countries especially in the third world,  have no visible or working laws through which victims can seek redress.
Although both sexes can become victims of domestic violence, Women are more at risk.

I grew up in a home, where I never saw or heard my father say a harsh word to my mother. There was absolutely no cussing or abusive words used in my home.
 Up till today, I cannot be with or stand a man who speaks to me harshly, let alone raise a hand to me.
So when I read about women who have been physically abused by their significant other, partners, husbands, boyfriends, etc, I am in shock, and often find it hard to wrap around my mind.


Pakistan is often in the news for all the wrong reasons, if it's not their expertise at training, would-be suicide bombers, it is heart-wrenching tales of women who have had their noses or facial parts cut off, or doused with acid by their husbands.

So this weekend, as I watched one of my favorite shows on the National Geography channel,  "Do Not Tell My Mother"  anchored by Diego Bunuel, this time Diego was in Pakistan,  I was touched in a special way. Endeared by how Mussarat Misbah, is giving second chances to women of domestic violence.

Mussarat Misbah is an incredible woman, she is not only a makeup artist, business women, and the single mother but also a Philanthropist she opened “Smile Again Foundation” which helps female survivors of acid and kerosene oil burns in Pakistan by providing them appropriate medical attention and reconstructive surgery, psychological/psychiatric support, shelter, and vocational training.

Reading some of the stories had me weeping while writing this post. How can someone want to hurt you so much, as to emotionally and physically scar you for life.
Especially when that someone had professed love once. I cannot understand it, it constantly boggles my mind.

The good thing is, these women get a second chance, not just at life, but at self empowerment as they mostly work at Depilex beauty salons all across Pakistan.



Comments

Popular Posts