MIAMI HEAT- 2012 NBA Champions


I was first introduced to the game of Basketball at the age of eleven, my first year in Secondary school, in my home country in West Africa. or what the Americans would call High School
It was a mandatory part of our Physical education classes, I could not shoot a hoop to save my life then, neither can I to this day.
My petite estrogen-pampered body did not like the tackles, and body contact that was part of the game.
For one, my greatest dread was, the tackles  from a classmate, who really should have been on a male team,( I attended all-girls school),  Her tackles were too rough in my opinion
So I found myself only able to play, for a few minutes, and sitting on the bench for the rest of the game

However, I enjoy watching professional players at the game. The dribbles, Slam dunks, rebounds, finger rolls, double-clutch, etc, are a delight. My first favorite team was Chicago Bulls because it was Michael Jordan's team.
Living outside the United States, the home of Basketball and the NBA, I am not obligated to root for a home State team.
So from being a Chicago Bulls fan, I  have often swung like a pendulum,  between the New York Knicks and Miami Heat.

I live in the Caribbean now, and sometimes see myself as living in a Miami overseas territory.
Miami, Florida is only three and half hours flight from my home, so I can fly to Miami for a weekend of shopping or sightseeing.
So this season, I rooted for the Miami Heat, hoping they would win the NBA title.
The last time, they did was in 2006. The chase for this new title had led, to the recruitment of Cavaliers favorite player LeBron James
He left his Ohio home state team, Cleveland Cavaliers for Miami Heat, and got so much flak for it.
 Many of his Cavalier fans felt betrayed,  but a man has got to do what he has to do.

On Thursday, June, 21, Miami Heat played their best game, I watched in awe of these men,  giants in stature play their hearts out, from start to finish,  beating  the Oklahoma Thunder 121- 106 points

Mike Miller was a delight to watch, with a flourish: 23 points and 7-of-8 on three-pointers

Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade or D-Wade, as he is fondly called, Mario Chalmers, Norris Cole, and of course LeBron James, "King James" to his teeming fans,  all brought their "A" game, Thursday night. It was a team effort, and all should take credit. Coach Erik Spoelstra is certainly a proud man.


 On Monday, 25 June, there will be a parade, by the Champions.
The nearly two-mile parade for the Miami Heat's 2012 NBA Championship will run through the downtown Miami area.
I would not be flying to Miami to see the champions, but will certainly be watching on the small screen


Comments

Popular Posts