Fela Anikulapo Kuti- King of Afro Beat




"Teacher don't teach me nonsense" - Fela Anikulapo Kuti



We call him by several names "Baba"- meaning father,  Abami Eda"- mysterious creature,  "Anikulapo" - he has died in his pocket. He was a revolutionary, a Political activist, A rebel loved by many, hated by some. He touched millions of hearts through his music, the originator of the music genre Afrobeat. I grew up on this music. My dad would not buy it, because many of the older generations, did not understand the enigma, that was Fela Anikulapo Kuti and did not approve of his lifestyle.

They saw him as a trouble maker, constantly challenging the military government, who came to power through the power of the gun instead of the ballot.
 Young people saw him as a hero, a savior of sorts, someone who spoke their minds

My older cousin bought his record album and yes, we played it when my parents were not at home, and danced to it until our young waists almost fell apart. I am not kidding, we really danced to this. The tunes of the Saxophone take me to another world literally.
I was maybe 9 or 10, the political innuendos did not make much sense to me, I just loved the beats of the drums and the Sax. I became a different person when I heard them, chanted the lyrics, and just danced, and danced until I was exhausted. Up till today, it is my pick-me-up elixir.


While in college, I finally got to visit his "Shrine" at Ikeja, Lagos where he performs, with my Muslim Boyfriend. ( I mention Muslim, because he was not supposed to visit such places, where alcohol flowed freely, the scent of  marijuana filled the air, and so many were too inebriated, to remember their names) but we were both rebels at heart.
 
My father and his would have died a thousand deaths if they knew. Fables had it that "good" boys and girls do not visit the shrine, but that was all they were, tales and fables. The truly discerning would visit the Shrine.  His political commentaries spoke what was on the minds of many. The Military and Political class were sinking the ship that was Nigeria, and too many were cowardly to challenge the status quo.

When the great one passed on to join his ancestors in 1997, I was lucky again to be at the body viewing at Tafawa Belewa square, Lagos. It was surreal seeing him lying there, Still,  we were not going to hear any more "Yabis"(teasing) from the Abami Eda.
In 2010, I was again fortunate to see the show  "Fela on Broadway", New York City. I had a front-row seat. I had never been so proud to be  Nigerian as I was on that night.




Fela and his many wives





Kevin Mambo featuring as Fela on Broadway




Comments

Popular Posts